2016 Write Stuff Flash Contest Winners
FLASH Contest Winners
1. Karen Rose "At the end of it"
2. Christina Dunbar "Escape"
3.Frances Dello Ioio Miller "Risk Takers"
1. Rita Civitello "Ode"
2. Suzanne Mattaboni "The Hood of the Camry"
3. Douglas James Troxell "6 inches of water"
1. Elizabeth Thomas "Sunday Beggar"
2. Hana Haatainan-Caye "Secrets in the Attic"
3. Dawn Sooy "Wanderlust"
Text of the Winning Entries
1. Karen Rose -- "At the end of it"
I have an anvil
You are the hammer.
That awful clang.
what we are making
is no longer magnificent.
I have an anchor
You are the seabed.
You slope further away.
My chain is not long enough.
What will happen when I
can no longer reach you.
I have a magnet
You are broken into
fine metal fillings
that cling like rust.
you drain my power.
1. Rita Civitello -- "Ode"
I love your eyes, your imperfect but lovely brown skin.
Once you were hard and unyielding. Now you crumble at my touch revealing your steamy, plump middle, gloriously blanketed in luxuriously creamy white and glistening yellow, adorned with tiny vibrant emerald jewels.
I gaze in wonderment at your beauty, longing to devour you.
You are my weakness and my nourishment
I love you, baked potato.
1. Elizabeth Thomas -- "Sunday Beggar"Dinnertime, she stands under traffic lights. cardboard sign smudged, rain soaked, crying written plea,
'Lost job. Three children to feed.'
From the warm glow in cafe windows they watch, debating. Hands clutched around hot cups of coffee, bowls of soup filled to the brim, spoons dribbling onto thick slices of bread. Saliva flushing mouthfuls down throats like water down drains in the middle of a drought.
Observers still debating if this woman is genuine, if the clothes are thin and worn enough, if the eyes are sunken and miserable enough.
"No way of knowing," one says. "Best not to engage."